Friday

community of style and becoming-molecular

"There is no subject of the becoming except as a deterritorialized variable of the majority; there is no medium of becoming except as a deterritorialized variable of a minority. We can be thrown into a becoming by anything at all, by the most unexpected, most insignificant of things. You don't deviate from the majority unless there is a little detail that starts to swell and carries you off." Deleuze & Guattari, 1000 Plateaus, p.292

I've been pondering the value of style lately. Style in the more common sense of aesthetic style, appreciation for art, good decorating, putting together a stylish look. For many years I had this style that was very aggressive and defined itself proudly as a deviation from the majority. This kind of approach to style did not value the common, ordinary, or everyday, and certainly did not value things that were inherited. It was exhausting. It was doomed to fail, and it was painful because I constantly had to try to live up to a standard of non-ordinariness which is pretty impossible to achieve in a day to day living kind of context.

So I was starting to wonder whether my interest in creating my own aesthetic style was merely a kind of egoistic attempt to be better than other people, to look down on them in their dreaded ordinariness, which I used to perceive as weakness, slumbering, and inauthenticity. (Which of course was a way of trying to feel better about being interested in things that other people thought were strange, odd, or otherwise aberrant.)

As I've been working it through now, as I look at it closely, I find that the aesthetics of daily life (home decor, clothing/hair/makeup, food, patterns of speech, means of transportation, writing instruments, etc) genuinely are important to me, but not because my taste sets me apart from other people. The aesthetic interests I have are not about judgment, but rather about really noticing what is going on within me and around me--really noticing the textures, shapes, colors, sounds/musics, temperatures, speeds, slownesses, traditions, innovations, pathways, walls, etc of the world that I live in, and the world as I live it.

Deleuze and Guattari talk about becomings as these creative actions and moments where we lose the rigidity of knowing exactly what things are and exactly who we are and instead we enter into a kind of sublime engagement with the world such that transformation is inevitable. This is what it is to be creative: to forget what you know through total engagement with the living reality of whatever it is that you are doing. In this sense, creativity, as 'becoming' is about deviating from the majority, and even from the established minority, and just going into experience as it is right now.

This kind of becoming is never absolute in the sense that we are able to escape all (or even most) structures of our existence--culture, personal history, biological and geological limitations are always in play. But there is an aspect of our experiencing that is free, that is fundamentally creative, and that continually makes plays for the open spaces in all of those structures that allow for transformation.

Through the development of my own style, I seek this freedom. In addition to all of the aspects of my style that are inherited and unable to be changed, the true "stylishness" of my style isn't something finished or resolved, but rather, a kind of material, linguistic, and gestural record of my responses to what my close engagement with the curious details of life that "start to swell and carry me off" such that I forget my historical identity and the rules of things....and something new appears, however small. That newness, that is "my style".


"We can be thrown into a becoming by anything at all, by the most unexpected, most insignificant of things. You don't deviate from the majority unless there is a little detail that starts to swell and carries you off."

4 comments:

  1. I am palpitating all over. Swollen and carried away... Oh how I miss our conversations.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you mean by aspects of your style that are inherited and unable to be changed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cara--it's not so much that any particular inherited aspect of style is fundamentally unable to be changed, just that the structures of life are such that trying to overthrow every aspect of inherited style (cultural and personal historical stuff)in all domains at once takes WAY too much energy, and is (in my opinion) ultimately impossible.

    For example, instead of relying on the clothes that are available in the marketplace around me, I could have all of my clothes made for me with fabrics produced by other cultures that have "nothing" to do with my own (harder and harder in a global marketplace). However, the seamstress or tailor--in being able to communicate with me and to create clothing that satisfies me--would embody some relation to a tradition that is likely quite close to my own. It would take a lot to radically transform that and find something not inherited at all, truly "other".

    It occurs to me that my example of seeking novelty there is utterly American, right? There is no escape. But there are immanent moments of freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK, you have gotten me thinking about style. 80% of the time, I care a good deal about what I'm wearing, because I want to look pretty. The other 20% of the time, I can't be bothered in the slightest. That's clothes.

    As far as everything else is concerned, when I'm not oblivious to my environment (which is most of the time), I'm paying intense attention to very specific things, and more or less always interdisciplinarily, for lack of a better term. So I can appreciate design qua design but by no means enough that it's important to have it around me (you may have seen the thing I wrote about the issues that stem from this on my old blog*). Which is not to say that there aren't visual aesthetics that I like - Santeria and Indian colonialism come to mind - but I feel like I like them for reasons I can explain.

    Have you read "The Substance of Style" by Victoria Postrel? I wasn't able to get past what I saw as the inherently circularity of her claim - that style is important to us because it is (but I know that you're not as distressed by that sort of thing as I am...)

    *http://loreandipsum.blogspot.com/2008/07/some-architects-believe-that-buildings.html

    ReplyDelete